Fleur.gif (71111 bytes) Laura and Fleur:  Fleur was born on the 19th April 2000. When I went to see all the pups for the first time, I sat on the floor and Fleur came and sat in my lap and put her head on my chest, she would not move from me, she chose me for her mum.  When they took her away to be washed and groomed, she tiddled the floor.

I took Fleur home, it was a long drive of some 150 miles. I had to keep stopping as Fleur was shaking so much it worried me terribly. At night Fleur slept in our room in her own bed, soon after coming home when she was asleep she began thrashing about with peculiar noises coming from her, deep breaths as though she had trouble breathing. It was so loud that it woke us up, I would try to calm her thinking she was having a bad dream. She would wake up and seem very dozy, I put this down to her having just woken up. She would go back to sleep and within an hour she was again thrashing about and again I would get up and calm her. She was about 16 weeks old at this stage.

I did not know that Fleur was actually having seizures, I had never seen anything like it in a puppy before. I could not understand why her bed was wet in the morning or why she would wet our bed when she slept with us. When Fleur was 6 months old she had her first Grand Mall seizure, she was rushed to the vet, she then saw several 'specialists'. Now at nearly two she has been diagnosed as epileptic by a lovely vet who really understands animals.

Fleur is taking Epiphen (pb), Kbr and Vallium protocol. She is given Emergency RR when needed.

Fleur is an adored, treasured and most beautiful little girl.
william.gif (65553 bytes) Laura and William:  William is a rescue Shih-Tsu who is now 11 years old.  He was rescued when he was 3 years old from Shih-Tsu rescue.   The lady that ran the rescue centre was going to have him put to sleep the next day, he was abandoned and a note put under his collar saying that he was a terrible dog, he was supposed to be naughty, destructive, dirty and an escape artist.

Well, William came to live with us and he was a very distressed little boy, he missed his mistress so much that he just sat and pined for her.  After a few months if I went out and left him at home, on my return I would find he had messed in my chair or on my pillow on my bed.  I did not say anything to him, just cleaned it up and forgave him.   I thought he was punishing me for what his mistress had done to him.  After about a year of this treatment from William, one day he jumped up onto my lap and gave me the biggest kisses all over my face and hands.  From this day onwards he was my wonderful gentleman, he never again messed in the house and even played with the toys he had for so long ignored.  He would bring me one of his toys as a gift and we'd play games for hours.

William was mine at last, he loved me and I just adored him with all my heart. Then one day I saw William lying on the floor his paws paddling and he was struggling to breathe, his breath was coming out in sobs.  We rushed William to the vets and we were told that William had a grade 2 heart murmur and a blockage somewhere in his heart.  Due to the blockage his heart was enlarged and it was obstructing his airways, this had led to him having a seizure.

I just did not know what to think, my poor darling William, who had always been so healthy had suddenly collapsed.  This was devastating and all I could do was to make him as comfortable as possible.

As yet William is not on any medication, there does not seem to be anything the vet can do for him.  So time is not on our side.  William has learnt to do tricks, for a treat he used to do all sorts of things he can no longer do. The only one he can do is tap my hand and count to five.  He is a darling little gentleman and I have been very lucky to have loved him for 8 wonderfully happy years, now that he needs me, I will be his devoted slave.

Laurie and Teddy:  Teddy is a Scottish Terrier (Scottie), probably around nine years old. We adopted Teddy from rescue in November of 2001. Though we have very little background information on Teddy, we know that he had been left with phenobarbital at a shelter in 1998, and subsequently adopted by someone who thought he was “brain dead.” He was kept crated in a darkened room and fitfully medicated for three years. He would have as many as seven seizures a day, we were told. When Teddy was taken into rescue in the summer of 2001, he was non-responsive and terribly confused. Teddy’s rescuer began to bring him out of his shell and tried through phenobarbital and supplements to control his seizures. 

I learned about Teddy and fell in love with this brave little soul. We decided to bring Teddy into our family. The little guy was clueless about so many things: doors, stairs, going for walks. He would run into things, get dangerously underfoot, get lost and stuck everywhere, and sometimes seemed deaf and/or blind. He had ear infections, infected gums, and trouble walking. Meanwhile Teddy continued to have violent grand mal seizures that would at times flip him halfway across a room, sometimes in clusters, usually about once every three weeks but sometimes more often. 

In a desperate search for help, we found the Epi Guardian Angels in February of 2002, and quickly with their help gained better control of Teddy’s seizures. Our vet was reluctant to switch Teddy to potassium bromide until his other health problems were resolved. Then we discovered in mid-July of 2002 that Teddy’s liver was damaged by the phenobarbital. Teddy went into a dangerous cluster of seizures; under a neurologist’s care in an ICU unit, Teddy was given a loading dose of potassium bromide via IV. We brought him home and under supervision weaned him completely off phenobarbital.

As of this writing, Teddy has not had another seizure since the mid-July 2002 cluster, and is seizure-free for nine months! He is lively and engaged, wags his tail, romps with his sister Scottie Sadie, and sleeps soundly all night long. He loves to listen to his dad play classical guitar. We are so grateful to Joanne Carson, Pat and Dixie (our “big sister” Angel), and all the Epi Guardian Angels for their nurturing love. They have given our sweet Teddy a life filled with joy and health.

When we adopted Teddy, we thought we were “saving” him. Teddy, however, has saved us: he is an abiding blessing in our home; he has through his courage and great soul given more to us than we can ever return to him. Our elder Scottie, Emma, who has since passed to the Bridge, sweetly took Teddy under her care, loved and indulged him, and we’re sure as an angel she watches over him still.

Medication, diet, and supplements that work well for Teddy:

Potassium bromide 1 ml. a.m., 1.5 ml. p.m.; liver cleansing diet (white and sweet potatoes, zucchini, green beans, cod) with pulverized organic raw green leafy veggies; anti-allergenic liver biscotti and turkey-oatmeal muffins (treats); milk thistle and Denosyl SD4; melatonin p.m.; phosphatidylserine complex, taurine, Transfer Factors Canine Complete, Solid Gold Life Exxtension, gingko biloba, and lots and lots of love.


Linda and Angel:  Angel is a very special German Shepherd.  She came to us the same week that Princess Di and Mother Teresa passed away so I wanted to name her something very special.  Her real name in Wind B'Nth My Wings but we call her Angel.  She has proven to be just as special as her name.  Everyone loves Angel and she loves everyone back.  She is the most gentle, loving German Shepherd I have ever had.  She earned her CD Obedience Title while on anit-seizure medication.  She has also herded sheep and visited Nursing Homes as a Therapy Dog.  Her most favorite thing to do is to play frisbee in the front yard.  She shares her 'humans' with two other German Shepherds, Indy & Bear, and a new Corgi puppy named Abbey.  She is very good with the puppy had has taken on the task of mothering her, teaching her new things and correcting her when she misbehaves.  Angel is proof that a dog can lead a fulfilling life while on anti-seizure medications.  Angels last seizure was May 3rd, over three months ago, which is a great success after having 2 to 3 seizures a month a year ago.

Medications and Food:  250 mg Potassium Bromide and 65 mg Phenobarbital three times a day.  0.5 mg L-thyroxin Twice a day.  Ester C; Vitamin B Complex, Flax Seed Oil, Milk Thistle, Fastrack (acidolpholus), and Rescue Remedy as needed.  Started on raw diet on 6/24; raw meaty bones in AM and meat/veggie pattie in PM.


Linda and Xander:  Xander is a four year old Siberian Husky who had his first seizure at
the age of 2 years old.  We had gotten Xander as a playmate for our female Husky who we had gotten one year earlier.  It felt like a tornado going through the house when they chased each other around, so we knew we had made the right choice. They both got on well.

It was devastating when he experienced his first seizure.  We didn't know anything about  epilepsy in dogs until we found the
Guardian Angel Group, which is full of support and lots of information.  They have helped a lot.

Xander is such a loving dog, we love him very much and wouldn't trade him for anything.

Medications and Food:  Phenobarbital.  Home cooking.


Page 1 Page 6 Page 11 Page 16 Page 21 Page 26
Page 2 Page 7 Page 12 Page 17 Page 22 Page 27
Page 3 Page 8 Page 13 Page 18 Page 23 Page 28
Page 4 Page 9 Page 14 Page 19 Page 24 Page 29
Page 5 Page 10 Page 15 Page 20 Page 25